After breakfast we went to the theater to meet with our
group tour then head to the bus. When
Viking calls a tour “panorama” it is usually a bus tour that drives by
sites. This was a better mix with some
stops along the way. Our guide was Jens
and our driver Johnny. First stop was
the Little Mermaid statue. My camera
died here in 1983 so I wanted to be sure to get some photos on this trip. Many people wait in a line to take a selfie
with her; I wonder how many end up on Instagram? I just wanted some photos of her by
herself. The guide managed to take us to
the Amalienborg Palace during the changing of the guard and unlike London we
could actually see the soldiers marching. As we stood in the square surrounded
by 4 palace buildings we learned a bit about the Danish monarchy and their
chain-smoking queen. Apparently though
she doesn’t want to be photographed smoking. Jens, the guide, had a subtle sense of humor
which we enjoyed. He was the second
pensioner guide we had on the trip. Tom
and I only did 3 guided tours and visited the rest of the ports on our
own.
After driving all around the city Johnny drove us to a spot
near the Opera House where we could get out for a view of the city from across
the channel. After this it was back to
the ship for lunch.
Viking offered shuttles to central Copenhagen near the Opera
House and the big department store, Magazine du Nord. After lunch we took one of the shuttles with
the plan to walk around the picturesque Nyhavn area and take photographs. It was very warm again this day and
crowded. I think the warm temperatures
bothered us because of the humidity which we are not used to. I think it makes us more tired than we might
be walking around home on an 85 degree day.
We did get photos and looked in a few tourist shops but I might have had
better luck in the Magazine du Nord which was open. While walking in Copenhagen on Sunday we
passed the restaurant Els. My friends
Betsy and Tomas took my friends and me to dinner there in 1983! As we came around to this side of the main
square near the big department store it was all torn up for work on the metro. I couldn’t see an easy way across to the
Magazine so we decided to turn another corner and head back to the bus.
Tonight we had dinner at World Café so we could eat light
and carefully choose just what we want in anticipation of our flights home
the next day. Then it was back to our
room to finish packing. Our checked bags
needed to be in the hall by 10:00pm for the trip to the airport in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment